Computers in the Library
Computers are available for use by students, faculty, and staff of the college. Log in to the computers using your usual college log-in and password. For information on saving files to your designated network space, please refer to here.
Visitors also have limited use of the computers - see Computer Use Policy for Visitors, Alumnae Library Privileges and Visitor Policy for additional information. Visitors will need to have a staff member log them on to the computers designated for visitor use - ask at the circulation desk for details.
Printing from the library computers is $.05 per page.
42 Windows desktop computers, 2 Macs, and 10 laptops available for library research and office applications, specifically:
- 12 PCs in the 1st floor reference area cluster (print to the alcove)
- 8 PCs in the 1st floor reading room cluster (print to the alcove)
- 12 PCs in McCain 211 (the library instruction classroom with a printer)
- 2 PCs in the 1st floor lobby (primarily for quick catalog searches)
- 3 PCs near the ground floor circulation desk
- 4 PCs in carrels in the ground floor media area
- 1 PC with assistive technology for students with disabilities in 1st floor study (Room 114)
- 2 Macs in carrels in the ground floor media area
- 10 laptop computers with wireless network access (available for in-library checkout by ASC students). Checkout period is 4 hours. Laptops cannot be taken outside of McCain Library. Save files to a flash drive, then print from a library desktop computer.
Saving Files Using Library Computers
Here are some tips for happy saving when you're using Library computers.
1. Do NOT save to the My Documents folder. (Your document will be deleted when you log out of the computer).
2. Save to a USB drive (we even have some available for checkout at the Circulation Desk)!
3. If you do not have a USB drive, you may save to your Y:\\ Drive, where each student has 200 MB of free network space. This drive is for permanently saving work. It is accessible from any campus computer to which the student has logged in with their username. Directions for accessing the drive are at http://eportfolio.agnesscott.edu/links/how/how1.htm (scroll down). Note: separate directions are available for MAC users.
4. Saving to Thawspace is NOT recommended - this is a public space, associated with the specific computer you are working on. Thawspace is accessible by anyone who works on that computer, and your documents could be deleted.
Computer Use Policy for Visitors
The computers in the library are for use by Agnes Scott College students, faculty, and staff. Their primary purpose is for academic applications, with an emphasis on library-related applications such as searching the online catalog, GALILEO, electronic resources or other online research.
Library visitors may use designated computers for library applications and for limited periods of time. Visitors should meet most of their needs at their home academic or public library. Off-campus users may not use these workstations for email, word-processing, or recreational use of the Internet. (See also Alumnae Library Privileges.)
In addition, all computers in the library are subject to the campus wide Policy on Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources.
During times of very high use by Agnes Scott students, visitor services and access may be limited. An individual visitor's library privileges also may be terminated at the discretion of any librarian for violation of policies, disruptive behavior, or any activity deemed detrimental to the library or our primary users. Questions about this policy may be directed to the Director of Library Services at 404-471-5277.